At Oculus, we’re working on a next-generation platform for VR gaming, but we can’t do it alone. We’re looking for talented game developers to build the made-for-VR experiences that will define it.
We’re thrilled to announce VR Jam, a long-format, worldwide game jam presented by Oculus and IndieCade. We’re putting up over $50,000 in prizes and a showcase exhibition at IndieCade Festival 2013 for the best VR games and experiences!
Participants are challenged to build the most innovative virtual reality games and experiences designed specifically for the Oculus Rift. Each grand prize winner receives a $10,000 cash prize, a trip to demo their game at IndieCade Festival 2013, and an invitation to visit Oculus HQ to meet the Oculus team.
The IndieCade Festival is the largest annual celebration of independent games and game developers from around the world. IndieCade takes over Culver City (Los Angeles) from October 3-6 with a public exhibition. as well as workshops, panels, keynotes, social events, meet-and-greets with game creators, and hands-on gameplay with the top independent games of the year, destined to change the course of entertainment.
- Everyone is welcome to participate in the jam.
- Games will be judged on innovation and virtual reality design.
- This is a long-format jam, so you’ll have 3-weeks to develop your game or experience (Aug. 2 – Aug. 25th).
- Oculus will open a special VR Jam developers forum just for participants on the Oculus Developer Center.
- If you don’t yet have a Rift, but would still like to participate, we’ve set up “Playtest Hubs” in select cities around to world where participants can share and playtest their games. See the “Playtest Hubs” section below for more details).
Aug. 2 – VR Jam begins 9am PT!
Aug. 9 – Milestone 1 (image and game description)
Aug. 16 – Milestone 2 (video of progress)
Aug. 25 – VR Jam ends (final build submitted)
Sept. 13 – Finalists announced
Sept. 19 – Winners announced
Oct. 3-6 – IndieCade Festival 2013
Playtest Hubs – Click on a hub for more information!
Los Angeles, University of Southern California
New York, New York University
HTW Berlin University Berlin, German
Bento Miso Toronto, Canada
Atlanta, Georgia (Georgia Tech)
Don’t hesitate to reach out and let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.